April showers bring May flowers, and May flowers bring…sneezing and wheezing.

With a winter thaw and nicer weather come spring allergies, made worse by the pollen that comes from those blooming plants—not to mention the pollution, dust, chemicals and pet hair that also cause problems.  Allergy symptoms from pollen and other irritants can make your asthma symptoms worse.

May is Asthma and Allergy Awareness Month, a good time to help you understand how those two are connected, and what you can do to help control your symptoms if you have asthma, allergies or both.

Read More.

What is Diabetes?

According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), “Diabetes is the condition in which the body does not properly process food for use as energy. Most of the food we eat is turned into glucose, or sugar, for our bodies to use for energy.

“The pancreas, an organ that lies near the stomach, makes a hormone called insulin to help glucose get into the cells of our bodies. When you have diabetes, your body either doesn’t make enough insulin or can’t use its own insulin as well as it should. This causes sugars to build up in your blood. This is why many people refer to diabetes as ‘sugar.’” Read More.

March is Colorectal Cancer Awareness Month, a good time to learn about this disease and to explain some very important facts about your health.

At more than 50,000 deaths per year in the United States, colorectal cancer is the second-deadliest type of cancer, after lung cancer. Colorectal cancer is cancer of the colon (which is the longest part of the large intestine) and/or the rectum (which is also in the large intestine, but the last few inches before the anus). Read More.

Heart disease is the leading cause of death for both men and women in the United States. About 735,000 Americans every year suffer a heart attack, and heart disease is also a major factor in disability. What’s more, heart disease isn’t just happening to older people. It’s happening to more young adults as well, largely due to increasing rates of obesity and high blood pressure in the 35 to 64 age group. Read More.

The holidays are here and that means good food, good times, and good cheer. But all too often, holidays can become more about bad food, ill health and stress. Here are some holiday health tips to keep your holidays healthy and happy. Read More.

Flu season runs from October to May, but it’s never too late—and rarely too early—to get your flu shot. The 2017 flu season saw 49 million cases of the flu and almost a million trips to the hospital. It’s time to get prepared. Here are five reasons to head to your doctor, clinic or pharmacy to get the flu vaccine today. Read More.

Baltimore, MD (October 1, 2018) – Baltimore based Jai Medical Systems Managed Care Organization, Inc. (Jai Medical Systems) is once again one of the Highest Rated Health Insurance Plans in the United States for 2018-2019, according to the National Committee for Quality Assurance (NCQA) Medicaid Health Insurance Plan Ratings. A listing of all NCQA Health Plan ratings is available at http://healthinsuranceratings.ncqa.org/2018/search/Medicaid. Read More.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) recognizes August as National Immunization Awareness Month (NAIM). Throughout the entire month, communities raise awareness about the vital role vaccinations have in preventing a number of diseases, including: Read More.

Though Men’s Health Month has officially come and gone, it’s important to highlight the issues men have with their health all year long. Men who are considered overweight or obese are especially prone to a number of related health problems. Read More.

Summer is here and so are the dangers of rising temperatures that can negatively impact the health of individuals of all ages. In fact, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) from 1999 to 2010, 8,081 heat-related deaths were reported in the United States. In 5,783 (72 percent) of these deaths, the underlying cause was exposure to excessive heat, and heat was a contributing factor in the remaining 2,298 (28 percent) deaths. Read More.